Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A new start...Landing on the moon...







I missed writing...The original idea behind the creation of this blog was to have my friends and family and especially Suhail (my fiancĂ©) take part in my ‘Laubberg adventures’ while being far away from them. Now, not only my old friends outside the U.A.E. but also my new ‘Swiss’ friends are asking me about how things are going in Abu Dhabi. And since there are countless interesting stories to tell, I decided to continue this blog. So let me go back a bit in time to get you the whole story:

The first day of my return to the desert, the whole world seems to be meeting in Abu Dhabi to see the Formula 1 race. So from my little idyllic caravan in the Laubberg, I suddenly find myself on our yacht in the luxury marina of an island in Abu Dhabi that has just been built to host the F1 race (this island didn’t exist before I had left to Switzerland). It came like a cultural shock to me: dressed up VIP’s, futuristic looking buildings, fancy hotel lobbies, noisy racing cars, tons of people partying on every corner of the island...I had already been wondering how I would feel about coming back but this surpassed all my nightmares...It was such an extreme change that my first reaction was to hide in the bottom of our boat. There were just too many people and noises around...Although I started having some fun at this place (we stayed for 3 days), I kept on feeling like an alien and once back at home, I really doubted if I could live here again...

No comments:

Post a Comment